Share this Article
"Battleground" is the name of the first original scrip-based show by online video service Hulu. It is scheduled to be available on Hulu’s free web service, rather than its premium pay Hulu Plus site, as of next month. "The series is described as a documentary-style political drama set in Wisconsin–which in real life has emerged as a frontline in the fight between liberals and conservatives since Republican governor Scott Walker took office a year ago," according to the New York Times.
The second show is "Up to Speed, a road-tripping reality show—are coming from the likes of Richard Linklater (Slacker, Dazed and Confused) and Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer, The Amazing Spider-man)" as reported by Gizmodo. As further mentioned by Gizmodo, Hulu and also Netflix are ready to push the industry in for its own good, and these developments make it more and more concrete that change is going to take place, sooner than later and that Hollywood should jump into the great unknown of the Internet.
Hulu's 2011 revenue
Jason Kilar, CEO of Hulu has published figures on its blog, results are:
- We grew the business 60% from 2010 to approximately $420 million in revenue. We exceeded our plan despite the soft advertising market (economy) in the second half of 2011. Overall the Hulu ad business grew aggressively and Hulu Plus materially exceeded our plan.
- Hulu Plus now has more than 1.5 million paying subscribers and this number continues to grow extremely fast. Hulu Plus has reached 1.5 million paid subscribers faster than any video subscription service launch (online or offline) in U.S. history. We are attracting more than 2x the number of subscribers each day when compared to this time last year. As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, we expect our subscription services to account for more than half of Hulu’s overall business later this year.
- In 2011, we dramatically expanded the content available to Hulu and Hulu Plus customers. Hulu’s content offering grew approximately 40% vs 2010; Hulu Plus’ content offering grew more than 105%. Hulu Plus is the only online video subscription service that offers current season content from 5 of the 6 largest U.S. broadcast networks, with shows from The CW and Univision added this past quarter. In 2011, we added a long roster of great current series, including Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Misfits, Revenge, Terra Nova, Up All Night, New Girl, Una Familia Con Suerte, The Secret Circle, Hart of Dixie, Ringer, Community and many more.
- In 2011, we invested heavily in the development of apps that empower users to access Hulu Plus from a wide variety of devices. Hulu Plus is now accessible on leading consumer electronics devices and mobile operating systems with a combined installed base of over 200 million. Some of the new devices we developed custom applications for include: Microsoft Xbox 360, Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Barnes and Noble’s NOOK Tablet, select Android smartphones, LG, Panasonic and VIZIO TVs and Blu-ray players, and many more.
- The innovative Hulu advertising service continues to lead the online video advertising market, with the largest market share of a rapidly expanding market. We have now served over 1,000 brand advertisers in our company’s short history. We are relentless in our mission to be the most effective video advertising service on the planet, which we believe is a function of respecting users and empowering them with tools like Hulu Ad Swap and Hulu Ad Selector.