Published on Sunday, 03 June 2012 13:36
S3 Group, a global enabler of the highest quality digital TV Content Delivery Platforms, is demonstrating the importance of second screen and Connected TV automated testing at The Cable Show 2012. The company will showcase how automated testing can make the difference between the successful adoption of new applications and services on connected devices versus a 'try once, turn off' experience.
At the Cable Show, S3 Group will highlight its capabilities across the most popular TV consumption devices today, including iPads(R), Connected TVs, set-top boxes (STBs) and others. Its newest automated testing solution
- Multi-Screen Device Diagnostics
- will enable extra cost savings potential for customer service organizations, as it will greatly reduce truck rolls and other operational expenditures. An automated approach enables operators and broadcasters to deliver new services and apps for Connected TVs and second screen devices faster and more cost-effectively, confident that the quality of service their customers expect is maintained on these devices as it is on a STB.
Specifically, attendees will see:
- Connected TV Testing - This demo showcases S3 Group's proven ability to run automated tests on Connected TVs. Operators and broadcasters are already looking to these platforms to expand the range of ways they can reach subscribers and viewers and thus it is necessary to ensure the same Quality of Service (QoS) on these devices as consumers expect from their STBs. Presently, testing is only possible using inconsistent manual methods but with the new addition to the StormTest family, Connected TVs can be tested like any other device, using the same scripting and graphical test creation methods.
- Application Validation - The rapid adoption and worldwide success of the iPad has accelerated the pressure on TV operators to develop an aggressive second screen strategy. To help meet this challenge, S3 Group's StormTest Development Center(R) automated testing product has been extended to enable the testing of applications deployed on iPad devices. At the Cable Show, S3 Group will show its market-leading iPad automated testing solution to clearly highlight how QoS can be maintained on these popular second screen devices.
- Multi-screen Device Diagnostics - This demo will highlight our multi-screen device diagnostics system. It provides a suite of tools to assist with problem diagnosis of the devices and application software being used by today's multi-screen viewer base. We will show how customers can help themselves to diagnose faults leading to reduced calls to support centers, and how call center agents can improve their remote diagnostics capability and thereby reduce truck rolls.
- StormTest Development Center - The latest version of the world's leading automated test platform for digital TV devices will be demonstrated. New features include white-box extensions and second generation Optical Character Recognition (OCR) functionality and a preview will be available of upcoming live (non-reference) video quality analysis. StormTest Development Center is used by more than 30 of the world's leading digital TV operators, broadcasters and vendors including the BBC, CableLabs and Swisscom.
"Today, ensuring Quality of Service is more important than ever as more second screen devices continue to enter the home at rapid rates. Through our own research, we know that at least five percent of customer issues can in fact be resolved without truck rolls, posing an immense cost savings opportunity," said Ian Harris, director of product marketing and sales, TV Technology, S3 Group. "With our StormTest automated testing portfolio, operators have access to an array of solutions that can address multi-platform, multi-device applications and services, helping to maintain a high level of service throughout the home and across these devices. We're excited to show this off at the Cable Show."