Published on Saturday, 08 May 2010 18:14
The research company Instat has released future forecast figures
for the TV Widget and App market which state that the market will be worth over €1 billion euro by 2013.
“By 2013, TV applications have the potential to generate over $1.7 billion in annual revenue,” says Keith Nissen, In-Stat analyst. “Our primary research shows consumers already have a moderate interest in TV Widgets. An innovative web-enabled CE device and service from a company like Google or Apple could truly galvanize the market, much as the iPhone transformed the mobile telephony market.”
The research from Instat also found the following:
- US shipments of web-enabled CE devices that support TV applications will grow from 14.6 million in 2010 to 83.4 million by 2014.
- By 2014, over 59 million US broadband households will own at least one CE device that supports TV applications.
- By 2014, the US installed base of CE devices that support TV applications will be 136 million units.
Recent In-Stat research, The US Market for Web-Based TV Widgets and Applications
(#IN1004657CM), covers the US market for Web-based TV apps. It includes:
- Review of TV app platforms: Boxee, DivX, LG Electronics, Netgear, Panasonic, Philips, Roku, Samsung, Seagate, Sony, Toshiba, Yahoo! Widgets, Vizio, and Vudu.
- Analysis of application categories and consumer demand.
- Exploration of productizing TV applications. Forecasts of US consumer Internet usage, installed base of web-enabled CE devices.