Share this Article
A Seattle based software company has officially launched a new Turn-Key solution that they hope will expose the "antiquated cable industry", and grow off the back of recent research into the US cable market.
Ivi, Inc releases its revolutionary live television application enabling anyone with an internet connection to "cut the cord" and watch live broadcast television anywhere in the world, anytime. They claim it is the first traditional television experience available on the internet.
Upon launch, ivi offers more content than Hulu, and a 30 day free trial to watch live major broadcast channels, including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, The CW, PBS, and others from a growing number of local affiliates, all available via a downloadable app at ivi's website.
The press release gave details of the key features of this application:
- No buffering - ivi's proprietary technology solves frustrating buffering problems typical with watching video content online. ivi offers continuous TV programming, just like traditional TV, but online.
- ivi's nimble technology allows easy installation and requires minimal system requirements.
- ivi plays in different quality levels, depending on your broadband connection, so anyone can enjoy live TV anywhere they are connected to the Internet, regardless of its speed.
- ivi allows users to watch local content anywhere in the world, such as viewing New York City broadcast channels anywhere from Paris to Perth to Peru.
- Offering a la carte channels, channel packages, and subscription services gives consumers more options and control.
- Priced at $4.99/mo, ivi is significantly less expensive than traditional cable TV, which averages $71.00 per month, according to research firm Centris.
- ivi TV is cross-platform, working identically on Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
- America's favorite pastime of channel surfing remains alive and well with ivi, which compiles (aggregates) channels into one viewing format allowing the user to discover, select, and watch their favorite channels.
- ivi is in talks with Nielsen, providing valuable analytics to help the existing advertising business model of channels and broadcasters.
"The cable industry has spent countless millions of dollars on so-called 'TV Everywhere' solutions in a blind effort to prop-up outdated technology and business models" said Todd Weaver, founder and CEO of ivi, Inc. "However, ivi empowers its users to experience 'TV Anywhere', offering them major broadcast channels delivered live to their laptop or desktop, anywhere on the planet. Whether eventually integrated into Google TV, Apple TV, or meshed with an existing platform's digital strategy, ivi makes the set-top-box and any 'Web to TV' products obsolete. Instead of attempting to bring the Web to the TV, ivi intuitively brings TV to the Web."
Weaver continued, "Recognizing the fate of the landline telephone and the digital debacle experienced by the music industry, ivi offers the broadcast and cable industries innovation they do not have time to build. Consumer-friendly features like a la carte are built in the ivi technology and are available as a turn-key solution to shift cord-cutting losses into online paid views for content owners, offering consumers the choice they have long demanded, with a compelling solution to a multi-billion dollar problem. Forcing consumers to pay for undesired content did not work for the music industry, and it is equally unsustainable for the cable and satellite industries. There is no incentive to fight us, when they should simply join us."
Whether this application will entice people to cut the cord to their traditional cable services will remain to be seen - until this application is on tv devices, it will remain available only through your little screen, which could put your average couch potato off from signing up.
ivi TV endeavors to make the world a better place by providing a high-quality viewing experience while offering consumers what they want in the way they want it, with more choices, less hardware, and higher standards than other modes of online content delivery. At the same time, ivi TV increases eyeballs for channels and advertisers, continuing and adding to the live television tradition in an innovative and sustainable manner. Consumers, broadcasters and advertisers alike will agree that live television, most notably sports and news programming, is here to stay. The solution is ivi TV. And the time is now. ivi, Inc., is based in Seattle. For more information, please visit http://www.ivi.tv.
We will be keeping an eye on Ivi, Inc - but in the meantime, let us know whether you think they will actually help drive cable cord cutting and be as disruptive as they claim?