Share this Article
Yahoo! Finance reports the availability of Skitter's new hybrid IPTV/OTT set-top box. It delivers OTT Web video, live television, digital audio and apps in both standard and high definition from a single device.
The STB is the latest edition to their converged entertainment services platform. Initially it will be distributed exclusively through Skitter.tv service providers as part of Skitter's entertainment services.
Abilities of the STB:
* The Skitter Box supports both standard definition and high definition video at every resolution currently in use, from 480i to 1080p;
* Skitter.TV's Media Player software is preloaded and self-updates as enhancements are released;
* Consumers attach the device to a home entertainment system using a number of different connection options, with support for HDMI, component and composite video, and optional optical audio;
* A powered USB port on the front of the Skitter Box allows access to content from a digital camera;
* Its secure processor supports a variety of conditional access (CA) and digital rights management (DRM) options, and an encryption key decoder is built in, and
* The Skitter Box connects to a home network via wired Ethernet or wireless 802.11 b/g/n and is designed for easy self-service installation.
Robert Saunders, president and co-founder of Skitter, Inc., said:
"One of biggest barriers to IPTV profitability and customer satisfaction is the extended and complicated in-home installation requirements that drives up expenses for the service provider and can frustrate consumers.
In contrast, Skitter.TV is a converged entertainment delivery platform that reduces both CapEx and OpEx costs for service providers while giving consumers the converged entertainment experience they want now. With the Skitter Box, service providers are no longer saddled with the traditional expenses inherent in traditional set-top box marketing, installation and support."