Published on Thursday, 27 January 2011 09:20
Cory Bergman over at Lost Remote picked up a brilliant quote from Endemol's CEO this week.
“Everyone says that social television will be big. I think it’s not
going to be big — it’s going to be huge,” Ynon Kreiz, CEO of the Endemol group,
the largest independent television production company in the world, told attendees at the
Digital Life Design (DLD) conference this week.
Triple that with what we covered last week:
David Rowan, the Editor of Wired magazine has named Social TV at number three of six in his peek into 2011 and what tech trends to expect to get traction. Couple that with the MIT Technology Review tagging Social TV in
the top 10 most important emerging technologies a few months ago and it
seems we have both the tech press and academia in agreement. Social TV
is a game changer - the intersection of TV and the Web will largely be
driven by Social Media - it's natural. TV is inherently social - and
Social Media is a conduit. Put them together in a workable, ergonomic
way and the convergence will have impact.
More from Bergman:
With billions of dollars already flowing through the TV ecosystem —
and new televisions coming equipped with wireless internet connectivity —
Kreiz said it’s only a matter of time before the social space explodes.
“We think that social media meets television is the next big thing,”
he said. “The ability to create content that will enable people to
interface with each other, to connect, to recommend, to share and
experience over television, is going to change the landscape of the
In fact, Kreiz encouraged people to “get up, leave this room” and run
to their garages to get to work designing the future of social TV.
“Whoever figures it out, will be the next Steve Jobs of this
generation,” he said.
This is going to make a whole lot of people I know very happy.
Here's some more links from Appmarket.tv to make the case for Social TV even stronger:
Almost Half of All British Using Social Media While Watching TV
- Deloitte Report: Television and Social Media: Generation Y and Friends Forever
- Social TV – making the TV experience more social
- Social TV: How Facebook, Twitter and Connected TV Will Transform the TV Market
Real-Time Synchronous Voting and Social TV Comes to Dutch Talent Programme - The Voice of Holland
- Verizon reports: Social TV widgets are a smash hit
- BBC iPlayer enabling Social TV
- Clicker Moves Towards Social TV
- Crowdsourcing Social TV Research - User Insight Investing Half a Million Dollars
- U is coming - TVNZ to Introduce Social TV Targeted at 15-24 year-old Market
- Transmedia and the evolution of -Social- Television r
- GetGlue Social TV Gets $6M round of Funding from TimeWarner, RRE Ventures and Union Square Ventures
Tunerfish - Social TV - Comes to iPhone
- Social TV Platform Philo Gets Round A Venture Capital Infusion
- TiVo Announces Two Screen Social TV App with iPad
- Gleeks and Their Two Screen Social TV Solution with iPhone App Via Smule
- Miso Raises $1.5M, Grows Users, Launches API, and Secures First Partner for 2011
MIT And BT Hook Up for 12 Month Study on Social TV
- Social TV: Twitter is a natural "companion medium" to other media channels -- in particular to live TV
MTV Networks Moves Towards Social Gaming – Transmedia Entertainment
Netflix retrying its Social TV strategy
Report: Social TV and the Emergence of Interactive TV
- Samsung to Make Move into Social TV - Introducing Korea's Cyworld on their Connected TVs
SFgate: How Social Television Is Gaining In Popularity
- Social TV to Hit Russia
Social TV: Bravo TV launches Twitter Campaigns
- Social TV: When TV meets social networking
TF1 in France Now offering Social TV and VOD on Secondary Screens - Free
- The challenge of Choice pushes the challenge of the Social EPG enhancement
- The new Myspace: Entertainment hub for Social TV?
- UAE, China and Russia Leading Social TV Users
Company Akoo Awarded Chinese Patent for Bridging Mobile Devices, Social
Television Services, and Digital Out-Of-Home Networks
- US TVGuide.com Expands Social TV Offerings - Social TV Leader Averages 10,000 TV Check-ins Per Day Since October Launch
Hat Tip to Marie-Jose Montpetit via Paul Farkas at Facebook for the tip!
If you are interesting in hiring the London-based team at Appmarket.tv for consulting and project delivery,
or click here.