Published on Saturday, 11 May 2013 09:51
Ofcom has recently released a tome of a report called UK audience attitudes to the broadcast media - which is available as both a summary and in a whopping 111 page slide pack.
Some of the more interesting findings include:
- Over half of viewers who use TV 'on demand' services say they watch them when there is nothing to watch on 'normal TV'.
- Around three in ten respondents said that they used TV video-on-demand services (from Virgin on Demand, Sky Anytime or BT Vision +). The top three reasons for use were: because they 'missed the programme/file when on TV' (76%), 'use it when there is nothing on 'normal' TV to watch' (54%) and 'wanted to watch programme/film at a time that suits me' (46%).
- A third (35%) of internet users said they used the internet to watch TV programmes online or download from TV broadcasters' websites, and a third (36%) said they watched TV clips online or downloaded from other websites.
- Fifty-nine per cent of respondents who said they watched TV/films/video clips via the internet said they did so at least several times a week, rising to 67% of 16-34s.
- Among those who used online catch-up services, the top three reasons for use were 'missed the programme/file when on TV' (62%), 'want to watch programme/film at a time that suits me' (43%) and in third position: 'use it when there is nothing on 'normal TV to watch' (32%). Compared to 2011, there has been an increase in the proportion saying they use catch-up services as a convenience (from 34% in 2011 to 43% in 2012).
- TV remains the most-used medium, with 97% of respondents saying they watched it at least several times a week (87% said 'every day'). Just over three-quarters (76%) said they used the radio at least several times a week, 77% said they used the internet, 59% audio-visual media via the internet (i.e. TV programmes/films/video clips) and 47% non-live TV (i.e. time-shifted content on a TV set).
- Many respondents said they used other media while watching TV. The most popular activity was using their mobile, with seven in ten (70%) saying they did this while watching the TV on a TV set (41% said 'every day'). More than half (54%) said they used the internet at the same time.
Click here for larger version.