Published on Wednesday, 30 October 2013 05:43
2nd Screen Viewing Experience
- 22.7% of video ads are blocked by ad blockers on PC experiences
- 40% of YouTube traffic is now accessed through mobile devices
- 46 billion online videos were show in the U.S. alone in September, supported by 22.9 billion ads
- 65% of tablet owners watch more than an hour of video per day on their tablet
- 66% of consumers prefer to get their media and entertainment through the "mobile web" vs. "in app"
2nd Screen Companion Experience
- there has a been 38% increase in Tweets YoY in TV activity
- for every Tweet written there are 50 voyeurs
- the press believes that the winner of Social TV will be decided between Facebook and Twitter
- ChromeCast is perhaps the best passive and pervasive "system" level 2nd Screen experience for Discovery and Control, which launched for an effective price of $22
- Machinima has announced the launch of Wingman, an Enhanced Viewing experience 2nd Screen app that is built into Microsoft Xbox
- Smartglass with the launch of Xbox One, allowing gamers to see someone play the level/sequence of the game they are playing side by side
2nd Screen Growth
- Ad spending for online video is expected to grow at 39.7% CAGR through 2016, reaching more than $10 billion in the U.S. alone
- Tablet shipments are expected to grow by 53% over last year in the U.S.
- Viggle saw a 289% revenue growth for their 2nd Screen app, reaching $4.6 million in calendar Q3
You can find the supporting detailed reports to these facts here.
You can find a summary of Second Screen Society research which is updated quarterly here.